So after a thorough hunt on eBay I found a high feedback rated user, located in the UK (so local to me) who was selling ‘Genuine’ LifeProof Cases for the iPhone 5.
The case was at a price lower than RRP, but not by a huge amount. It certainly wasn’t one of these £9.99 ‘LifeProof’ cases that you see all over sites such as eBay, Gumtree, and now unfortunately, more frequently also Amazon.
The order was placed and delivery was next day, all in all so far great service from this ‘highly rated’ eBay seller. That is were the good news stops! Upon opening the box it was evident that I was NOT the proud owner of a genuine LifeProof Fre iPhone 5 Case. I was now the owner of a cheap and nasty fake. The only other option was that the genuine Fre LifeProof cases were in fact a very inferior product.
That is not the case! It is the fakes that are inferior!
Everything about them from the box, quality and decals, right through to the overall feel and fit of the case just screams nasty.
Here is a quick guide of what to look for, so that pretty much instantly you should be aware of a real v fake Fre LifeProof Case:
1. The LifeProof Logo on the Front of the box is missing the ‘TM’ sign or logo.
2. Everywhere on the rear of the box that mentions LifeProof is also missing the ‘TM’ sign or logo.
3. The Box itself is horribly assembled with poor quality glue that is likely to give way on your first opening of the box.
4. The screen of the actual case is of poor quality, this is difficult to show in a video however it is not taught nor completely clear. It will be obvious.
5. If you get a black case, the inside of it will be white as opposed to black. (I got a white one so can’t show this).
6. The proximity sensor on a genuine case will change colour as you move the case about. Sort of like a polarising lens, the sensor on the fake case is just clear plastic.
7. The fake iPhone insert that comes with the case is of poor quality, it will be obvious.
8. The micro-fibre cloths are pretty much the same.
9. The instruction manual is missing the the TM sign or logo next to the LifeProof logo, as throughout the rest of the packaging.
10. The rear pieces have no real tell tale signs of being a fake.
11. The case may not even close properly!
12. Even the fakes have a serial number, which LifeProof uses in genuine cases for warranty purposes. (This is after the water test)
I also carried out a water test of this case, unsurprisingly it failed miserably!
FAKE LifeProof Fre iPhone 5 Case – Water Test :
Therefore in conclusion it could not be more simple, when it comes to the LifeProof Fre cases, do NOT buy fake, they are substandard and cheap, offering no protection to your phone at all. This is one such case where only the genuine article should be trusted!
Here is the full gallery of images from the FAKE LifeProof Fre Case: